Monday, August 20, 2012

The Lessons of Change

       The seasons of life bring the challenges of change. Some are welcome changes, like getting married or having a child. Others are painful, like losing a loved one or facing an illness. As I have gone through different seasons, I have experienced many changes. Some have been seemingly catastrophic and for a period of time have left me whimpering & defeated, hiding in a corner. Others have been exhilarating and have stirred my spirit to get out there and go! But through it all, I have learned some important lessons.
       I have learned that no matter what change occurs, and no matter how shocking or surprising the change is, God has already gone ahead of me to prepare the way. He is never surprised or caught off guard by my circumstances and always redirects my path to incorporate the new challenges.
I love the verses in Psalm 23 that say "He leads me beside still waters...He leads me in the path of righteousness for His name sake." Just like a good shepherd, God has gone ahead of me to scout out the land and remove any devastating hazards. My job is just to follow, rather than run or hide.
       Another thing I have learned is that there are always silver linings in each change, even the hardest ones, if we will take a step back and ask God to reveal them. Job losses open doors for new opportunities. Loved ones lost give others the chance to comfort & care for us, blessing them & us! Betrayals help us appreciate true friendships. Financial scares allow our faith to grow as we trust God to supply our needs. The challenge is to live as Philippians 4:4,6-7 admonishes us to do: "Rejoice in the Lord always...Don't worry about anything but pray and ask God for everything you  need, always giving thanks...and God's peace which is beyond our understanding will keep our hearts and minds steady in Christ Jesus!" As others watch us, and they are, we become lights to them as well!
       Don't misunderstand me: changes are not easy. Some are little ripples that we can easily float over, but others hit us like tidal waves, overturning our boats and making us cling to life supports for a season. Those drastic changes take some time to accommodate, and to some extent there is never a full return to life as it was before. But different is not always worse, just different,  & I have learned that as I mature in the Lord, leaning on Him and experiencing His faithfulness through all of life, the waves that used to threaten to capsize me are now more easily navigated & conquered. I am also able to share & help others through their changes, having seen God's ability to comfort, guide, and direct me. (2 Co. 1:3-4) Looking back, I see many lessons learned & benefits received from changes that I thought were life-threatening at the time! That's God's promise in Romans 8:28! All things Aren't good, but work together for our good! It's God's process working in us!!
       Changes have also strengthened the hope that I have in my forever. Someday the changes will all be behind me. I will be in the presence of my Jesus and will be able to just worship Him throughout all eternity. The fear of loss, of pain, & of suffering will all be shadows of the past and the joy of living in God's blessing will be my reality.
       Life on this earth will always necessitate changes. As long as we are here there will be circumstances & situations that will cause our lives to shift & shake. The important thing for us, however, is to make sure that we keep our focus completely on Jesus. As long as we continue to follow Him, our path is secure & our destination, no matter how full of twists & turns, is set! To fix our eyes on anything else is to wander off course & that's just plain scary!  
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment