Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Legacy that Continues...

       If you've been reading this blog all week you know that my Dad was my hero.  He was loving and gentle, yet strong and protective. He wasn't perfect, but he was the perfect Dad for me.
       As I was looking back through pictures this week, I found our Lynch coat of arms.  Upon researching its symbols, I discovered some very interesting things:
"Always constant and faithful" is the motto of our family.
The gold represents generosity, the blue represents loyalty.
The chevron, symbolic of a home's roof, stands for faithful service & protection. The helmet signifies a strong defense.
       While all those characteristics are a perfect description of Dad,  the ones I love the most are those associated with the lynx and the shamrock. The lynx indicates keen insights and spiritual discernment, and the shamrock is one of the earliest known symbols for the Trinity & Christianity!  While Dad's loyalty, faithfulness, generosity, and protective qualities were invaluable, the fact that he evidenced Christ in his daily life and passed that love for God on to us is the Best!  I saw Dad read his Bible- he didn't just talk about reading it. I witnessed him praying for the concerns of his heart. He didn't make major decisions until praying about them first, which was evidenced in our family's financial security and stability.  He loved God & his church family, and served our church in many different capacities. He was a giver in more than a monetary sense, although he was generous that way as well.
      The other thing I associate with him and our church life was his love for music. He loved the hymns and I can still hear his low bass voice whenever they are sung. He could frequently be found sitting at our piano playing hymns and other "favorites", and one of my earliest memories involves curling up beneath the piano listening to him.  I loved hearing him play. He rarely used music and played from the heart. To this day I still have trouble singing a whole hymn without tearing up - they open my heart in the deepest way!
       Dad was a very special man. I find it amazing that the Lynch crest, designed in the early 1100s, portrays the very best qualities of a man who lived so many years later. And although once married my surname changed, I am still a Lynch at heart. It is my fervent hope and prayer that I am helping to pass on those wonderful character traits to the next generations of our family, whether their names are Lynch or something else. In this way, Dad's legacy will continue to go forward!
     Happy 95th Birthday, Dad!  I love you...And thanks!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment