Sunday, June 19, 2011

Love for a Lifetime...

As handsome as Dad was, I'm sure he had his share of girlfriends...however once he found his "love for a lifetime", he married her and that was that!  Dad had lots of great qualities, but the one that I value the most was his love.
       Dad loved Mom.  He loved her enough to give her the freedom to rule our home...he loved her enough to teach her to drive...he loved her enough to go on cruises when he'd rather go fishing...he loved her enough to play games (which other than Solitaire he could have done without), ...and on and on.  He just loved her. Because of his love for her, he was faithful to her, a good provider for her, & protective of her.
       His love for her was the basis and foundation for his love for us kids. He encouraged me to do my best, but never demeaned me or made me feel inferior, even when I didn't quite get it right. In fact, Dad even took me on my first "date". I was 13, dressed in a fancy dress and wearing "high" heels. We went to a very upscale restaurant and he treated me like a  princess.  At the end of the night, he said, "Now Jannie, tonight was to show you how you deserve to be treated.  If a guy doesn't treat you like this, he doesn't deserve you. Send him packing!" Wise advice from a loving dad!
       Dad loved his parents and showed it by the respect and care he gave them, even when they couldn't respond.  He loved our extended family and never begrudged them anything he could give them. He loved his friends - some of whom he knew for over 50 years.  He loved...
       Of all the ones he loved, he loved God the most.  His love for God made all the other loves possible. It allowed him to forgive easily, to care deeply, and to serve faithfully. It gave him the courage to stand for what was right, even when the majority was against him.  It was the foundation of all that he was & did.
       I am blessed to have a family heritage of love - so many of my friends don't - and I never take it for granted. I found my love for a lifetime, Jesus, at an early age and He has made all my other loves that much richer! Have you found Him yet?  Seek Him and you will find Him. It's His promise and it will give you your love for a lifetime too!

No comments:

Post a Comment