Thursday, September 8, 2011

My teacher knows best!

Several of my grandkids started school yesterday and I started reliving the first days of school when I was teaching. They were always filled with mixed emotions...Who were the children and did I have any siblings of former students? What would they know or not know already? Were there any extreme behavior problems in the group?  Would the parents be interfering and demanding or supportive?  
I don't know why I had those questions because each year I had all of those. I had students who came in "knowing everything already" whose parents just wanted them to be prepared to eventually succeed at Harvard (Really? Can I teach him to read first?) and the ones who didn't care if their children learned anything as long as they were happy!
I was always given the lion's share of "naughty kids" because the Kindergarten teachers liked my "strict style". (Those teachers didn't know that I sat in the students' chairs and prayed over them! That was the key to success, not my style!!) I also got the lion's share of super high achievers because I didn't believe in holding kids to the curriculum if they were ready to go on. (It's called individualization and it works extremely well!!)
Anyway, all this reflecting led me to thoughts of God and His observations of Us.  How we react to our circumstances must sometimes cause Him to laugh. (Yes, God laughs!) Do we think we know it all?  Do we just strive to be happy?  Do we launch out unprepared for the tasks He has for us because we refuse to put in the time or effort to learn what we need to know?  Are we easy or hard to work with?
The children who put the most into their first grade year were the children who left with confident attitudes, happy hearts, and the best academic growth. The ones who struggled most were the whiners, excuse-makers, & "motivationally challenged".  Interesting that when Jesus was here on Earth, He could only help those who wanted help - and nothing's changed. If we come to Him knowing it all, demanding our way, making excuses, or whining we set ourselves up for a long struggle.  I'd rather come with open hands, open heart, and open mind.  Let Him decide where, when & what I need to learn. It will save me lots of trouble in the long run and I'll avoid both the spiritual two-by-four that is sometimes required to get my attention & the repeated journeys around the same spiritual mountain!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment