Friday, October 7, 2011

Families Ties and Tethers

       I recently spent a few days with family in Sacramento and it caused me to once again count my blessings.  It is an amazing thing to be with people who have known you all your life and love you for just who you are. I don't have to "be" anything to any of them - they just love and accept me - with my quirks, my flaws, my gifts, my history. There is a freedom in knowing that you're able to put aside all masks and pretenses. You can laugh together, cry together, talk or not talk. There is no pressure to keep up an image because they wouldn't believe it if you tried! It's fun because you can reminisce about the people and events of the past and they know them too. Memories abound!
       I have friends who don't have family. Either their families are in "disrepair" or have all passed away, or they just don't care to be around them. In some cases, it just happened through no fault of any person or event. In other cases, a family blowup caused a rift that has yet to heal. Time, distance, and busyness also take their toll. In most cases, they have learned to compensate and fill the holes with other things. Some are even happy to be relieved of the burdens family sometimes cause. Some, sadly, are better off without their family ties. There are those relationships that are just too costly to one's spiritual, physical, or mental health! (To those I would say, Make a family of your own choosing and create memories in those new relationships!) Fortunately, God blessed me with Christian heritage and relatives!! I couldn't have chosen better!
       Don't get me wrong, it's not always happy times and pure bliss. Sometimes those who know you best can hurt you the deepest. The very things that bind can be the same things that chafe. Misunderstandings can happen in the closest of relationships and emotional reactions can be blown out of all proportion. The key to it all is love and forgiveness. The Bible says that love can cover a multitude of sins & repentance with humility can heal even the deepest wounds.  It's not always easy when someone has misjudged your intentions or bailed on you when you really needed them, but since all of us struggle with our own insecurities and inadequacies, Grace becomes the healing balm that soothes the hurt feelings and removes our right to be right!  The Bible also says that as far as it is up to Me, I should live in peace. I am only responsible for myself, regardless of others' reactions or choices. I decided long ago to choose Peace... the alternative is too costly - brokenness and emptiness, or pride and self-pity will never fill the void I'd have. Life is just too short to waste time waiting for others to apologize or make the first move! I'd rather enjoy the times, seasons, & days I have to spend with my loved ones. Time wasted can't be regained, and loved ones lost are gone until eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment