Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Greater Thing

I have been focusing alot lately on an upcoming birthday, partly because of dear friends and loved ones that have recently gone home to be with the Lord & partly just because it is "a big one" - a milestone of sorts.  As I sat this morning reading my Bible, a verse jumped out at me. Psalm 119:37 says, "Keep me from looking at worthless things. Let me live by Your Word." What are those worthless things that I tend to give so much attention to?  Injustices done to those I love, physical imperfections and character flaws that I struggle with, stresses of daily living, hurts and disappointments of days past, fear of future failures...there can be so many things that tend to turn our hearts away from our true purpose!  God created us, designed us, redeemed us, and equipped us to do "works of service the He planned beforetime that we should do" ( Eph. 2:10). He gave us His light and His Spirit not so that we could be proud or falsely humble, but so that we could live to glorify Him (Matt. 5:16)!  After all, it's not the number of days we're here on earth that matters, but what we do with each day He gives us that truly counts!  While living in this body, I will always have to redirect my thoughts and my focus but may the Lord help me to discern when worthless things have captured my attention so that I can give the greater part of my daily life & attention to the Greater thing - a life of praising and glorifying God by true obedience and loving service!

No comments:

Post a Comment