Friday, January 13, 2012

Precious Moments and Sweet Memories!

We are visiting our out-of-town family & friends this week. With 5 kids, 12 grandchildren, brothers, sisters, numerous other relatives and lots of friends to see, it is a busy time! Because our visits are months apart, everyone wants to see us and we want to see everyone. Packing in all that we want to do is not an easy task! So...beyond the "catching up dinners" with extended family, we always have at least one huge dinner that Dan cooks when all the kids and grandkids come! It's wild chaos because (removing the baby twins from the mix) there are 9 kids age 3-7! This week's visit included water balloons, dance party on WII, pretend sword fighting, and lots of chasing, screaming and yelling. It also included hurt feelings, crying, "accidents", and indignant cries for justice. Throw in a couple of "beyond picky" eaters and two babies that occasionally need attention and you have a recipe for Excedrin headache #1! 

I LOVE spending time with everyone, but if I had a choice I would prefer to see each family individually. That way, each grandchild gets attention and the adults actually enjoy the visit! I am totally happy during the quiet times of coloring and playing games, of rocking babies and building legos. I also love early morning coffee chats and late night jacuzzi conversations. I "need" the sweet hours of sharing with friends - those special people in your life that you don't have to explain anything to cause they just know! You can just totally relax with no agenda and pick up where you left off during the last phone conversation. 

It's these precious moments and special times that I miss the most when I'm so far away. Everyone back home says, "Oh how lucky you are to go to CA where it's so warm and sunny" but in truth I don't even really notice the weather. It's nice to go out the door without 10 layers, it's true, and to take off in the car without scraping the ice off the windows first, but that's the least of the reasons I love being here. The little blessings and sweet moments are like spoonfuls of sugar that refill my spirit. They renew my heart and adjust my perspective. They give me respite from the many responsibilities I have at home. They truly restore my soul and I thank God for the opportunities I have to indulge in these visits!  If I get to enjoy sunny days and warm weather, well that's just gravy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment